Tuesday, January 08, 2008

A new efficiency

It's been a while since I posted, mainly because there wasn't much to post. In fact, there still isn't that much to detail about. http://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.gif

But I'm back in Malaysia for a couple of weeks, sorting things out and hoping it will be all ok in the end. What I am posting about is how efficient things have become in my absence. Everyone extols the wonders of whatever first world country they live in but I've been rather impressed with this country's experience lately.

I needed a new passport as the last one expires in September so off I trundle to the Immigration department expecting massive queues and stupid waiting times. Strangely enough, although there was no power when I got there at about 2, I was done by 4:30pm. And my new passport would be ready tomorrow afternoon. 24 hours for a new passport. Even the application wasn't painful.

Then I had to replace the driver's license that I lost. So off we go to the Department of Road Transport. It's a fair drive away but I walked in, explained what I needed and in my kiasu-ness (please see wikipedia for a definition) punched a number before I filled in a form. Which was totally unnecessary because we didn't need to wait. 5 minutes, RM20 later and I have my replaced driver's license. Yes, I don't drive but I'm guessing it'll come in useful someday. For something. I'm sure.

I'm stunned at how things have improved. There are actual government provided services that work. It's all a matter of paying for it! Welcome to the new third world capitalist government.

2 comments:

Joyce said...

Im even more surprised there is a wiki definition for Kiasu...

Visit me@
http://walkngcontradiction.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Cool, din't know KCH so efficient now eh